[R] anova function to test the difference between two coefficients in nlme package

shirley zhang shirley0818 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:00:50 CET 2008

Dear Dr. Bates, and R-help,

I just found the reason I got the error message is because I copied
the code directly from the book. When I tried the code in
"~\library\nlme\scripts" under the R installation directory like the
following, I got the same answere as in the book.

anova(fm2BW.lme, L = c("Time:Diet2" = 1, "Time:Diet3" = -1))

Now my question is instead of test the difference between two
coefficients, can I use anova to test the significance of the sum of
two coefficients, like

anova(fm2BW.lme, L = c("Time:Diet2" = 1, "Time:Diet3" = 1))

Thanks,
Shirley