[R] GUIs under 'unix' (was a Q about R in unix)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 09:35:47 CET 2008

Well, a more appropriate subject would help (see the posting guide), as
would a more precise description of the server OS.

Look at the R GUIs link on http://www.r-project.org/other-projects.html.

I'd look at JGR if you can get it to work - 'unix' is non-specific and it
is often hard enough to get Java and C-based programs to work work
together on Linux -- but if 'unix' is Solaris you may be in luck.
It is 'prize-winning' (the Chambers' prize in 2005).

But if you are using a server remotely any GUI may be slow, and I think
most such R users use the commnand line and edit scripts locally in their
favourite R editor.

R is developed on the command line so that is fastest and most stable.
Some of the GUIs are flaky and/or 'awkward' (to quote a poster here about
one with a name reminiscent of that word -- and I concur, but GUIs are a
matter of taste).

I used a Solaris box at home until 2003, so I have a lot of experience
with R on 'unix' (and still run it on Solaris servers, although mainly
for testing).  I used the command line and edited in Emacs+ESS.  I believe
you would find that by far the most common mode of work on a Unix box.

People underestimate the work needed in producing a GUI: standard GUI
platforms provide toolkits and lots of pre-programmed widgets, but even
with those it is considerable work.