[R] latex{Hmisc} cannot find xdvi on MAC OS X

David Airey david.airey at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Jan 24 18:50:43 CET 2008

.

I also have an issue on the Mac getting latex(describe(iris)) to work.
I get the .tex file but this error:

 > latex(describe(iris))
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

(/var/folders/AJ/AJjttUSSFdSi1HiInJZyY++++TI/-Tmp-//RtmpY5vKOM/
file10d63af1.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak,
german, ng
erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, farsi,
finnish,
  french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
interlingua, ibyc
us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk,
polish, por
tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian,
swedish,
turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/report.cls
Document Class: report 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/setspace/setspace.sty
Package: `setspace' 6.7 <2000/12/01>
) (/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/relsize.sty)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/
geometry.cfg))
No file file10d63af1.aux.
[1] (./file10d63af1.aux) )
Output written on file10d63af1.dvi (1 page, 4264 bytes).
Transcript written on file10d63af1.log.
sh: xdvi: command not found

For LaTeX installation I used MacTeX 2007 live, which places files in
a way that will allow multiple TeX installations. I sometimes have
problems with TeX from the command line, but not with TeXShop which is
the GUI that comes with the bundle. Where TeX gets installed for the
Mac is described here:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

and

http://www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html

Finally, in the .tex file created above, several % were not escaped (I
had to do that manually), and the text style {\smaller } is not on my
TeX installation. \footnotesize is. Also I had to guess at the some of
the  packages required to get the latex to compile (e.g., setspacing).
But otherwise, pretty dang nifty.

-Dave

--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor