[R] latex{Hmisc} cannot find xdvi on MAC OS X

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Jan 24 23:31:23 CET 2008

Nobody seems to have asked whether the student is using R from the
Mac GUI, or R at the unix-style command line prompt.

I have R 2.6.1 installed on a Mac running OS 10.4.11.  When I start R
at the command prompt in a terminal emulator in the X windows
environment, the example expression, latex(describe(dataframe)),
succeeds. xdvi starts up and displays the preview.

When I use the Mac GUI, xdvi does not start up. Both ways of starting
R are using the same installation of R.

When started by double-clicking on the icon that represents R, the
unix path is not inherited. It's probably more accurate to say that
PATH does  not exist, because no unix shell has been started. There
are other mechanisms for creating environment variables that R can
obtain via Sys.getenv(). (Create a file named environment.plist, or
something like that, but I don't remember the exact details.)

Even if the R gui environment is set up so that the path to xdvi is
available, it won't necessarily work, because xdvi requires that an X
windows server and window manager be running. That's not normally the
case for most Mac users (one assumes). On Mac OS 10.5.x those should
start automatically when xdvi is started, but not on earlier versions
of Mac OS.

(As an aside, this is probably the answer to Frank's comment, "shame
on Mac" (for not inheriting path) -- if one wants the Mac to act like
a linux box, then one must do one's work from within a unix shell.
That's done either from the Terminal application, or other terminal
emulator.)

The experts on this issue are best reached through R-sig-mac. A
search of the archives will probably reveal how to define unix stye
environment variables such as PATH, that the Mac R gui can use. The
Mac-related pages at CRAN may also have this information.

-Don