[R] interactive menu in scripts

WCD vydramail at quick.cz
Sat Jan 26 20:57:24 CET 2008

Yes, the switch function works fine.
To store generated values in some variable I just use:
  switch(menu(c("Normal", "Uniform")), a<-rnorm(5), a<-runif(5))

But why does not work this? (I know there is waste of variables, but in
principle):
  b<-numeric(10)
  switch(menu(c("Normal", "Uniform")), a<-1, a<-2)
  if(a==1) {b<-rnorm(10)} else {b<-runif(10)}
When I run these commands from a script, the choice is offered after the
condition is performed, so "b" stores ten zeros.

Also readline() function seems to be what I am looking for. But I did not
manage to use it for my reason;  this does not work too:
  var<-numeric(5)
  rdf<-function() {
  x<-readline("Enter 1 for normal, 2 for uniform distribution ")
  if (x==1) {var<-rnorm(5)} else {var<-runif(5)}
  }
  rdf()

Even this does not work (object "x" is not found):
  rdf2<-function() {
  x<-readline("enter your year of birth ")
  }
  rdf2()

Can you see what am I doing wrong?

Anyway, I am sorry for my maybe bizzar explanations. I am quitr new to R and
R forum.
My aim is to write an R script, where the user can make some choices or set
some parameters via the R console. Filip Kral.