[R] Package simex

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Tue Jan 29 03:07:27 CET 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> The original paper is:
>
> Cook, J. R. & Stefanski L. A. (1994) Simulation--extrapolation
> estimation in parametric measurement error models. Journal of the
> American Statistical Association, 89, 1314-1328.
>
> From: Michael Kubovy
>>

>> Dear R-helpers,
>>
>> It is not clear to me how you get measurement.error SD when you
>> have a single dataset, and it is not clear to me how sensitive
>> SIMEX is to errors in the estimates of measurement error.
>>
>> Could someone please point me to the relevant literature?

Indeed, the article is cited in the package help. Unfortunately it
ends with my question: "Among the limitations of SIMEX estimation …
the two most notable are the requirement that the measurement error
variance be known …" (p. 1327).

The study I'm dealing with does not have a history of similar studies
that would allow me to estimate the measurement error variance.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/