[R] on trellis.par.set/get (reproducing figures from Pinheiro & Bates)

Dr. Ottorino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Tue Jan 29 17:59:43 CET 2008

Dear R users,
I would like to exactly reproduce a figure like the 1.5 or 1.9 or 4.13
from the book
Mixed effects models in S and S-Plus.
Not for the sake of it, but because I have my own data I would like to
plot in that fashion
(no colors)

If I write

plot(ergoStool)

I can get a good informative plot with colors, but I would like to have
a B&W one instead.

I've played a little with trellis.par.set
managing to change some aspect of the appearance of the plot,
for example with

prove.theme<-
  list(
       dot.line = list(col = 1, lty = 3, lwd = 1),
       fontsize = list(text = 12, points = 10)
             )
trellis.par.set(prove.theme)
plot(ergoStool)

I also queried trellis.par.get by

names(trellis.par.get())

but still I'm not able to figure out which are the parameters, if any,
that control "pch" and "col" of the symbols.

Any help is highly appreciated.

--
Ottorino-Luca Pantani, Università di Firenze
Dip. Scienza del Suolo e Nutrizione della Pianta