[R] Guidance for reporting results from lme test?

lorenz.gygax at art.admin.ch lorenz.gygax at art.admin.ch
Wed Jan 30 07:27:24 CET 2008

Dear Ronny,

> I have sucsessfully used a linear mixed effect model, lme,
> (REML). The results are satisfactory, but I have problems
> with sorting out how to report the result in a scientific paper.
>
> Is there a genearal guidance for reporting lme results
> available (web page, book or article)?

This is likely to depend on the specific subject area that you are working in. I minimally report F-values and their degrees of freedom plus the p-value in applied biology. This is sometimes complemented by reporting the parameter estimates (and either their estimated standard error or a confidence interval) or by a figure including the model fit. Mostly, the random effects are described in the methods section as how they reflect experimental design but often no specific details are reported.

Regards, Lorenz
-
Lorenz Gygax, Dr. sc. nat., postdoc
Federal Veterinary Office
Centre for proper housing of ruminants and pigs
Agroscope Reckenholz-Tänikon Research Station ART
Tänikon, CH-8356 Ettenhausen / Switzerland