[R] how to customize boxplot

Cornelis de Gier cwdegier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:09:36 CET 2008

Dear List,

I'd like to make boxplots of a large number of observations (+/-
20.000), which are distributed log-normal and right skewed. The
problem is that with standard boxplots a too large number of
observations are displayed as outliers. I also tried to display the
log of the observations, but even then there are to may outliers to my
taste. So I'd like to change the standard IQR box to a box which
displays the 5th tothe 95th percentile instead of the standard 25th to
75th percentile.

Is this possible and if so, how? I use both R and Splus, so I'd like
to know for both flavours of S.

Regards,

Cornelis