[R] what can we do when R gives no response

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:10:44 CEST 2008

I ran you script and it came back in less than 1 second:

> x <- rnbinom(100, mu = 10, size = 10)
> hdev <- function(par) {
+     -sum(dnbinom(x, mu = par[1], size = par[2], log = TRUE))
+ }
> nlminb(c(9, 12), hdev)
$par
[1]  9.760001 13.802305

$objective
[1] 278.9434

$convergence
[1] 0

$message
[1] "relative convergence (4)"

$iterations
[1] 11

$evaluations
function gradient
      12       31

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Peng Jiang <jp021 at sjtu.edu.cn> wrote:
>  Hi,  dear R experts ,
>  I am new. I met this problem when I am trying to learn how to use
> the  nlminb() function. I tried the example which the document
> provides ( as the following code ) and R gives no response . I don't
> know whether it is running or not and it takes a very long time but
> still output nothing  so I just close the session window. my question
> is is there any method that I can see the running status of a R
> program or what can I do if R gives no response??? thank you in advance.
> here is my sessionInfo
>
> i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
>
> locale:
> zh_CN.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8/C/C/zh_CN.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] mclust_3.1-5
> x <- rnbinom(100, mu = 10, size = 10)
> hdev <- function(par) {
>     -sum(dnbinom(x, mu = par[1], size = par[2], log = TRUE))
> }
> nlminb(c(9, 12), hdev)
> Peng Jiang 江鹏 ,Ph.D. Candidate
> Antai College of Economics & Management
> 安泰经济管理学院
> Department of Mathematics
> 数学系
> Shanghai Jiaotong University (Minhang Campus)
> 800 Dongchuan Road
> 200240 Shanghai
> P. R. China

Jim Holtman