[R] How do I paste double quotes arround a character string?

Philip James Smith philipsmith at alumni.albany.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:18:14 CEST 2008

Thanks for your reply, Ted... I am very grateful for it.

Using your notation, what I need is a character string Y that looks like:

 >[1] ""New Mexico""

rather than

 >[1] "\"New Mexico\""

i.e., Y must have the string 'New Mexico' surrounded by double quotes,
rather than double quotes preceded by slashes.

The reason why I need it that way is that I've over simplified my
request and the character string is actually a unix command that needs
to be surrounded by double quotes when embeded in the unix (linux)
executes it. When unix sees that slash before the quotes, it gives an error.

I'd be grateful if you can provide a solution to this!!

Thank you, Ted!

Gratefully,
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA