[R] Orthogonal polynomials and poly

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 13:59:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, giovanni parrinello wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have found in the poly help this sentence:
>
> The orthogonal polynomial is summarized by the coefficients, which can be
> used to evaluate it via the three-term recursion given in Kennedy & Gentle
> (1980, pp. 343?4), and used in the predict part of the code.
>
> My question: which type of orthogonal polynomials are used by this function?
> Hrmite, legendre..

>From the help page:

      Returns or evaluates orthogonal polynomials of degree 1 to
      'degree' over the specified set of points 'x'.

If you don't know what orthogonal polynomials over a finite set are,
please look them up in the references given.  Hermite (sic), Legendre
(sic) etc are for continuous variables with inner-products given by
integrals.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk