[R] graph woes

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 20:21:25 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Patrick Jackson <jackpat01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 1.  the tick marks are not where I want them to be.  I want them at
>>> .1, 1, 10, and 100, but I'm get them at 0.1, 0.5, 1.0, 5.0, 10.0,
>>> 50.0, 100.0

axTicks does not do anything since that function simply computes
certain numbers and returns them.  It has no effect on the plot.  You want
to put xaxt = "n" as an arg to plot to suppress the axis and then:

	axis(1, at = c(0.1, 0.5, 1.0, 5.0, 10.0, 50.0, 100.0))

>>>     a.  Also is there anyway to make sub tick marks?

There are some examples in the example section of ?plot.zoo in
the zoo package.

>>> 2.  three of my curves are not coming out the way I want them to
>>>     a.  one of my plot line when using standard axis, shows up, but
>>> when I turn the log feature on for the x axis, it disappears, does
>>> anyone know why?
>>>     b.  I have two lines on this graph that are suppose to represent
>>> perfect curves, but they are only showing the upper portions of the
>>> curves.

You are trying to graph the log of 0 !

Also:

1. Replace your call to par with:

op <- par(...whatever...)

and then at the end

par(op)

to reset it.

2. You may wish to specify text.width = 0.2 in the call to legend (or
other number) to control the legend width.

3. Please read the last line of every message to r-help and please try to
reduce your problems in all cases to the smallest problem that illustrates
it rather than posting your original.

4. check out ?matplot