[R] Recoding a variable

Spencer zhuge99 at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 3 20:57:26 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to R. I have a variable, "internet use," which ranges
from "Almost everyday, "Several times a week," "Several times a month,"
"Seldom," "Never," and  "Don't know." I want to recode this data into a
new variable, say "use.internet," such that I have a dichotomous
variable indicating simply whether or not they have access to the
internet. Hence, I want to make "Never" and "Don't know" equal to 0,
everything else 1. I thought about doing an if...then statement, but am
not sure how to do this in R. This is easy to do in SPSS.

A sample of the existing array is the following:

Seldom
Several times a week
Several times a month
Never