[R] Sunset in Dortmund

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Thu Jul 3 20:58:43 CEST 2008

Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at comcast.net> [Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 05:57:01PM CEST]:

>> Lots of train fans would pay extra for a hotel with such a view
>
> At the peril of taking this thread further astray, I agree, having been
> one in my youth growing up in and around New York City in the 60's and
> 70's.

May be good to know then that Dortmund is the third city in Germany when it
comes to the number of train stations. This is mostly due to the multitude
of railway companies that competed for lines in the coal and steel industry
boom.

One (kinda) touristy thing to do in Dortmund is to take the "Emschertalbahn" line
which departs at nn:32. Very quaint single-track line running through residents'
back yards. Step off after 18 minutes at Bövinghausen and walk Jupiterstrasse
through a model example of miners' homes to a model example of a colliery
now made a museum (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=dortmund&ie=UTF8&ll=51.518584,7.331679&spn=0.007704,0.012403&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr).

Have a nice stay

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture