[R] First attempt to use R

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 00:07:46 CEST 2008

Hi Ted,

hopefully the following information gets you started:

Ted wrote:
> What I want to do is extract time series data from a database(say, PostgreSQL
> or MySQL - I routinely use both), analyse it, and put a selection of the
> statistical results into specific tables.

Check the following document:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html
The R Data Import/Export Manual. There is a section on Relational Databases.
Please check also the available packages here:
http://cran.wustl.edu/web/packages/index.html (or from any other CRAN
mirror).
There is, for example, a package called RMySQL which will probably help
you (but there are also others RODBC, DBI, RSQLite, DBI, ...)
There is even a special interest group for databases (R-SIG-DB).

> For example, suppose I have daily values for several variates.  One thing I
> might try is to fit a cubic spline to the data,
Please check also the listing of available packages (URL given above).
There seem to be quite a few spline-related packages. Please note that
there is a function
smooth.spline
included in the packages 'stats' (part of the standard installation of R)

I hope this helps,
Roland