[R] set type of SS in anova()

jeroenooms j.c.l.ooms at uu.nl
Sat Jul 5 00:36:47 CEST 2008

When you use the 'general linear model' analysis in SPSS, the first result is
a table with all terms with F-tests and significance values for all IV's. It
uses  http://joyx.joensuu.fi/~ek/anova/sstypes.txt SS Type III , which has
the advantage that the order in which the variables are added to the model
does not matter, and therefore it is relatively objective.

I would like to reproduce this output in R. However, when using
anova(glm.object, test="F"), the F test shows "Terms added sequentially
(first to last)". Because of this, the F values and p values of the terms
depend on the sequence in which they were added. Eg: an anova() of
glm(a~b+c) will give other results than glm(a~c+b).

How can I specify the SS type of an anova in R, so that i can reproduce the
exact results as that i got in SPSS?