[R] set type of SS in anova()

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Jul 5 12:20:10 CEST 2008

Dear j.c.l.omms,

The Anova() function in the car package can compute so-called "type-II" and
"type-III" tests. When there are terms in the model that are marginal to
others (such as main effects marginal to interactions), type-III tests are
of questionable interest and have to be formulated carefully to test
sensible hypotheses. As well, since glm() with no family argument fits a
linear model with normal errors, it would be more usual in R to use lm().

Regards,
 John

------------------------------
John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On
> Behalf Of jeroenooms
> Sent: July-04-08 6:37 PM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] set type of SS in anova()
>

> When you use the 'general linear model' analysis in SPSS, the first result
is
> a table with all terms with F-tests and significance values for all IV's.
It