[R] Error: cannot use PQL when using lmer

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sun Jul 6 04:09:11 CEST 2008

 <hpdutra <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > library(MASS)
> > attach(bacteria)
> > table(y)
>   n   y
>  43 177
> > y<-1*(y=="y")
> > table(y,trt)
>    trt
> y   placebo drug drug+
>   0      12   18    13
>   1      84   44    49
> > library(lme4)
> > model1<-lmer(y~trt+(week|ID),family=binomial,method="PQL")
> Error in match.arg(method, c("Laplace", "AGQ")) :
>   'arg' should be one of “Laplace”, “AGQ”

  What is your question?
  Doug Bates warned a few weeks ago that the newer version
of lmer would no longer use PQL for GLMMs (he found that
it was unreliable, even as a starting method for Laplace fits).
I think you can still get the older version if you want
it, or you can use glmmPQL from the MASS package (glmmPQL
has some advantages anyway).
   It might be better to forward further discussion to
r-sig-mixed.

   Ben Bolker