[R] Interpreting messages when building packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Jul 6 15:42:41 CEST 2008

Johannes Huesing wrote:
> Dear expRts,
> when I try to build a package by myself, the process fails writing the
> following messages to 00install.out:
>
> * Installing *source* package 'dynalc' ...
> ** libs
> WARNING: no source files found
> chmod: Zugriff auf „/home/hannes/texte/forschung/clot/programme/dynalc.Rcheck/dynalc/libs/*“ nicht möglich: No such file or directory
> ** R
> ** data
> ** inst
> ** help
> Note: removing empty section \value
> Note: removing empty section \details
> Note: removing empty section \description
> Note: removing empty section \note
> Note: removing empty section \references
> Note: removing empty section \title
> Note: removing empty section \arguments
> Note: removing empty section \examples
> Note: removing empty section \seealso
>  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'dynalc'
>      Formats: text html latex example
>   allcombos                         text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   contribloss                       text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   dummy                             text    html    latex   example
>   dynalc                            text    html    latex
>   hirchalg                          text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   hirchloss                         text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   setupalc                          text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   sumloss                           text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
>   tabble                            text    html    latex   example
>      missing link(s):  ~~fun~~
> ** building package indices ...
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,  :
>   line 12 did not have 19 elements
> Calls: <Anonymous> ... <Anonymous> -> switch -> assign -> read.table -> scan
> Execution halted
> ERROR: installing package indices failed
> ** Removing '/home/hannes/texte/forschung/clot/programme/dynalc.Rcheck/dynalc'
>
> Grepping the directory for "switch" or "scan" does not show anything.
> Removing the data set from the "data" directory does not change the error
> message.
> What else can I do to narrow the range of possible targets when looking
> for the error?

The earlier messages suggest that you have automatically produced help
files (from package.skeleton) and haven't edited them.  I'd suggest
moving them to a temporary directory until you're ready to edit them
properly.

If that doesn't fix it, or it still occurs after you're done with the
editing, then you'll need to post more details:  what version of R, what
platform, etc.  sessionInfo() will print this.

Duncan Murdoch