[R] question on lm or glm matrix of coeficients X test data terms

DS ds5j at excite.com
Tue Jul 8 02:57:16 CEST 2008

thanks Jorge.  I appreciate your quick help.

Will this work if I have 20 columns of data but my regression only has 5 variables?

I am looking for something generic where I can give it my model and test data and get back a vector of the multiplied coefficients (with no hard coding).  When predict is called with an input model and data, R must be multiplying all co-efficients times variables and summing the number but is there a way to get components of the regressiom terms stored in a matrix before they are added?

The idea is to build n models with various terms and after producing a prediction list the top 3 variables that had the biggest impact in that particular set of predictor values.

e.g. if I build a model to predict default of loans I would then need to list the top factors in the model that can be used to explain why the loan is risky.  With 10-16 variables which can be present or not for each case there be a different 2 or 3 variables that led to the said prediction.

Dhruv