[R] Can I do regression by steps?

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Wed Jul 9 04:33:59 CEST 2008

Can you perform regression by steps, yes. Will results be the same as those you would obtain from a multiple variable regression? No not if the independent variables are non-orthogonal and you don't take into consideration the correlation of the independent variables. Should you take into consideration the correlation of the independent variables? Yes if you want to reproduce the results of a multivariable regression. Should you use regression by step? I can't answer this for you, I can only tell you the differences between multivariable regression and regression by steps. The fact that the method is being used to allow  for missing data makes things more complicated. I have no experience using regression by steps in this setting. Have you considered multiple imputation to fill in the missing data and then using standard regression techniques?

I am sorry I can't be more helpful.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> rlearner309 <unixunix99 at gmail.com> 7/8/2008 6:25 PM >>>

Thanks for the reply.
I am awared of the difference, but can I do regression by steps at all?  I
am not feeling comfortable about it.