[R] matplot help

Michael Rennie mdrennie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:34:59 CEST 2008

I think the problem is that you are trying to plot non-numeric values
on your x. I built some test code around your example; I don't think
you can plot non-numeric characters. If the plot is working on your
end, it's likely because it's recognizing your X variable as a factor
and it's plotting the numeric equivalents of the ordered factor. I
think all you need to do is just call the plot without an x-axis and
then make your own:

########################

x<-c("a","b","c","d")
y<-c(25,26,27,28)

matplot(1:4, y, type="l",lty=1, col=2, ylab="Bil.$",xlab="Quarters w/
Q1.60 = 0", xaxt="n")
title(main="(Log Diff) Gross Domestic Product (SAAR)", cex=0.5)
axis(1, at=1:4, labels=x)

Instead of "x" in axis() above, you can specify levels(x) and I think
that should work, too.

see ?axis for details.

HTH,

Mike