[R] What's the T-Value in fisher.test

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 20:33:51 CEST 2008

On 10-Jul-08 16:49:57, DaveFrisch wrote:
> I do not understand how to interpret this to find the T Value
> for the data.
> Is there a way to figure this out, or another function that will
> provide this for me using Fisher's Exact Test?

If I interpret your query correctly, you are expecting to find
something which corresponds to a deviation divided by its standard
error (such as one gets in a t-test, as an attribute of a coefficient
in a regression, etc.). The Fisher exact test does not work in these
terms at all.

Essentially, with the fixed-margins assumption which underlies the
Fisher exact test (of a 2x2 table), the entire table is determined
by the value of one cell -- say 'a' in row 1, column 1.

Each possible value of 'a' then has a probability. The values of
'a' which give rise to an odds-ratio more distant from 1 than
what is given by the value of 'a' in your data have a probability
which is the sum of their individual values. This is then the
P-value of the test.

That's it. There is no "T"!

Ted.

> The outcome of my data is listed below.
>
> data:  DATA
> p-value = 0.1698
> alternative hypothesis: true odds ratio is not equal to 1
> 95 percent confidence interval:
>   0.6026805   79.8309210
> sample estimates:
> odds ratio