[R] statistics question about a statement in julian faraway's "extending the linear model with R" text

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jul 14 23:22:19 CEST 2008

For the binomial the standard link function is the logit:

g(y) = log( y/(1-y) )

In the binomial glm model the observed y values are 0, or 1 which give g(0) = -Inf and g(1) = Inf.  Switching to g(mu) with  0 < mu < 1 results in finite values which are much easier for the computer to work with.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center