[R] Font quality in base graphics

willemf jwhferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jul 15 15:42:42 CEST 2008

I am attempting to get publication quality graphs using R on Ubuntu. I
encounter lots of problems in using cex to control font size: for instance
cex=1.5 results in very blocky characters. I then tried to use res=1200
while creating a PNG file, hoping that this would solve the problem, but it
did not. When doing the above, a second problem appeared: the font size
relative to the graphics decreased drastically. e.g. png("t1.png", res=1200,
width=1200, height=1200). Is anyone prepared to give me a pointer of where
to read about precise control over font type and font size in base graphics?
I have two books on R graphics but this aspect is never treated in detail in
any of them. Kind regards, willemf.