[R] aov error with large data set

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at DAL.CA
Tue Jul 15 19:12:50 CEST 2008

I'm looking to analyze a large data set: a within-Ss 2*2*1500 design
with 20 Ss. However, aov() gives me an error, reproducible as follows:

id = factor(1:20)
a = factor(1:2)
b = factor(1:2)
d = factor(1:1500)
temp = expand.grid(id=id, a=a, b=b, d=d)
temp$y = rnorm(length(temp[, 1])) #generate some random DV data
this_aov = aov(
	y~a*b*d+Error(id/(a*b*d))
	, data=temp
)

While yields the following error:
"
Error in model.matrix.default(mt, mf, contrasts) :
   allocMatrix: too many elements specified
"

Any suggestions?

Mike

--
Mike Lawrence
Graduate Student, Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University

www.memetic.ca

"The road to wisdom? Well, it's plain and simple to express:
Err and err and err again, but less and less and less."
	- Piet Hein