[R] Font quality in base graphics

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 21:59:26 CEST 2008

Hi wf

>> I just cannot believe that R does not have a good command of this.

Curious. I find R's graphical output matchless. Almost without exception I
use postscript and find the controls available under base graphics (?par) or
"lattice" adequate (to understate). Very occassionally I fiddle with the
postscript pointsize setting, but not often.

If you are struggling to get relative sizes as you want them then plot to  a
window (device) of the same size as the "on-paper" graphic you want. Under
Windows, for example, open a windows device with:

windows(width = 6.5, height = 6.5 * .75, pointsize = 12)

Then plot to it to check the scaling. If fine, then do:

postscript(paper="special", width=6.5, height=6.5*.75, pointsize=12,
onefile=F, horizontal=F)

Then plot, and dev.off(). ???

HTH, Mark.