[R] Off topic: Tcl/Tk outside R.

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Jul 16 00:43:04 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 08:28 +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
> Yeah, well I see that it works for you --- but it doesn't work for me!
> I.e. my original script doesn't work, but Peter D.'s modification
> does work.
>
> Dang! Why are ``they'' always picking on me? :-)

Hi Rolf,
I have had the same problem with both the Scriptics TclTk and ActiveTcl
when invoking the program in a shell script. I think that wish (Tk) may
use the command line to locate something it has to load, and this fails
on a symlink. I don't know anything about Macs, but I now always use the
absolute path to tclsh and wish (which includes the suffixed version) in
Linux shell scripts.

I still recall discovering TclTk on about my second version of Linux.
Suddenly I could write useful GUI apps almost as easily as I could write
crowbar code in C. I never looked back.

Jim