[R] Howto view function's source code of an installed package

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Jul 16 10:12:41 CEST 2008

Gundala Viswanath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way I can view the functions source code of  a
> package I installed in my PC.
>
> For example I downloaded the great "mixtools" package.
> I want to see the source code of one of its function "normalmixEM"
>
> Is there a way to do it? Presumably from R command prompt?
>
> I tried to take a look at the zip file, but somehow I can't seem
> to find the file on which I can find the source code. Please advice.
>
> - Gundala Viswanath
> Jakarta - Indonesia

Hi,

You can see the R-source code of a function if you give the command
without the brackets. For example:

 > sort
function (x, decreasing = FALSE, ...)
{
    if (!is.logical(decreasing) || length(decreasing) != 1)
        stop("'decreasing' must be a length-1 logical vector.\nDid you
intend to set 'partial'?")
    UseMethod("sort")
}
<environment: namespace:base>

Another option is to download the .tar.gz source package from CRAN,
unpack it and the R source code is available in the "R" subdirectory.

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra