[R] spectral decomposition for near-singular pd matrices

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 02:05:11 CEST 2008

How large is your matrix?

Are the very small eigenvalues well separated?

If your matrix is not very small and the lower eigenvalues are clustered, this may be a really hard problem! You may need a special purpose algorithm and/or higher precision arithmetic.
If your matrix is A and there exists a sequence of matrices A1,A2,...An = A such that A1 is "good", A2 is a bit worse (and is not very different from A1), etc., you may be able to compute the eigensystem for A1 and then track it down to A2, A3,...,An. I have worked on such problems some 15 years ago but I believe that by now there should be packages doing this (I do not know whether they exist in R).