[R] spectral decomposition for near-singular pd matrices

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 04:10:02 CEST 2008

Your problem seems to be pretty hard (for larger dimensions)!

When speaking about the A1,A2,...,An sequence I did not mean representing A as a product of A1*A2*...*An. What I mean is that A1,...,An is a sequence of matrices which starts at a "good" matrix, i.e. it's eigenvalues are well separated, then A2 is not too different from A1 and having already found the eigensystem (or a part of it) for A1 you can use them to find that system for A2 (without doing it from scratch), A3 is not too much different from A2 and so having the eigensystem for A2 you get ne for A3, etc. until you get to the last matrix which is A.

We had a matrix arising from elasticity. When the elasticity coefficient mu was small the matrix was good but when mu approached 0.5, half of the eigenvalues approached 0 (for mu = 0.5 half of the eigenvalues are really 0).
Starting from something like mu = 0.4 we were able to track several selected (lowest) eigenvalues up to something like mu = 0.4999, while no other program (at that time) could find the eigensystem of such matrix even for much less problematic values of mu.