[R] Problem with TLC/TK on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jul 18 01:16:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:09:25AM +0200, Davide Massidda wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have installed R on Linux/Ubuntu 8.04. When I try to load the tcltk
> package, I get the response:
>
> > library(tcltk)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : . First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
>
> In order to solve this problem, I try to:
> 1. To download the tcl and the tk packages (version: 8.5) from
> http://www.tcl.tk and to install them (the -dev packages also), but the
> error hold over.
> 2. To install the previous releases (version: 8.4) for these packages. The
> error hold over.
> 3. To set the environment variables 'TCL_LIBRARY' and 'TK_LIBRARY', in this
> mode:
> TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.5 *  (or 8.4)*
> TK_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/tk8.5           *(or 8.4)*
> but the error hold over.
> 4.Therefore, after this modifications, i uninstalled R and I installed again
> it. I try to do this both without setting environment variables and setting
> it. The error hold over.
> I look for a solution.

Read the README at cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ and install
the pre-built version. It has working tcl/tk support; and all other
features should be available too.

edd at joe:~$ echo "capabilities()" | R --slave
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets   libxml
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
    fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
    TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
edd at joe:~$ dpkg -l r-base-core|tail -1
ii  r-base-core    2.7.1-1hardy0  GNU R core of statistical computing language
edd at joe:~$

Dirk