[R] function "eigen" AND Minitab

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Fri Jul 18 10:27:32 CEST 2008

Or perhaps it is the idea of "different" that is broken.

If you are doing the same problem, then the eigenvalues
should be equal in the two systems -- up to numerical
error.

If that is true, then the eigenvectors for each distinct
eigenvalue need to span the same space.  Thus the
eigenvectors can always have opposite signs, and for
eigenvalues that are multiple the eigenvectors need look
nothing alike.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696