[R] Discretize continous variables....

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Jul 19 16:22:22 CEST 2008

milicic.marko wrote:
> Hi R helpers,
>

> I'm preparing dataset to fir logistic regression model with lrm(). I
> have various cointinous and discrete variables and I would like to:
>
> 1. Optimaly discretize continous variables (Optimaly means, maximizing
> information value - IV for example)

This will result in effects in the model that cannot be interpreted and
will ruin the statistical inference from the lrm.  It will also hurt
predictive discrimination.  You seem to be allergic to continuous variables.

> 2. Regroup discrete variables to achieve perhaps smaller number of
> level and better information value...

If you use the Y variable to do this the same problems will result.
Shrinkage is a better approach, or using marginal frequencies to combine
levels.  See the "pre-specification of complexity" strategy in my book
Regression Modeling Strategies.

Frank