[R] Discretize continous variables....

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Sun Jul 20 00:16:29 CEST 2008

Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> [Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:03:01PM CEST]:
> But even then
> why condition on incomplete information when complete information is
> available?  I.e., why compute Pr(Y=1 | X>x) in place of Pr(Y=1 | X=x)?

Because regulatory bodies demand it? Being employed in a medical school
you are certainly aware that regulatory bodies are very much into eliciting
a "benefit" in terms of "rate of subjects cured" and do not believe in
a treatment effect expressed as a "mere" shift in the parameter.

(Not that this notion weren't my pet peeve; but it's there and we have to
deal with it.)

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture