[R] drawing segments through points with pch=1

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 21 12:00:09 CEST 2008

    DE> What I don't like about type="b", also suggested by Paul
    DE> Smith, is that the segments do not go right up to the
    DE> little circles---a gap is left, which I don't like.

The gap is a feature; if you don't want it, use
"o" ([o]verplotting lines and points)    instead of
"b" ([b]oth (lines and points)

plot(x, ybarv, type="o", pch=21, bg="white")

does in one line what Uwe's solution did in three.

    DE> So far, Uwes' solution is what suits me best. However, I
    DE> understand Brian's objection, though it doesn't apply in
    DE> my case. The discussion makes me fear that it's a very
    DE> long road ahead before I can get fine control of R
    DE> graphics.

I'd recommend you should really get and read Paul Murrell's book
I just mentioned {in the other thread on R-help},
or read through the basic help pages  points, lines,
plot.default, ... quite carefully, and try and start to
understand the many examples / demos etc.

    DE> Thanks David

    DE> On 20 Jul, 2008, at 14:54, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Uwe Ligges wrote:
    >>
    >>> You probably want to make your code readable, read ?points and go
    >>> ahead by making the plot without points (plot(....., type="n")),
    >>> drawing segments and at the end paint points with white background
    >>> colour in order to "overwrite" the segments:
    >>
    >> Except that the background is not necessarily white (and you may
    >> want it to be transparent or translucent).
    >>
    >> It looks to me like lines(type="b") might be what was wanted.
    >>

    >>> y <- c(1.21, 0.51, 0.14, 1.62, -0.8,
    >>>        0.72, -1.71, 0.84, 0.02, -0.12)
    >>> ybar <- mean(y)
    >>> ll <- length(y)