[R] Mclust - which cluster is each observation in?

Julian Burgos jmburgos at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 21 19:44:04 CEST 2008

Well, you are dealing with probability based clustering, so for each
bird you will get a probability of belonging to each cluster.  If your
clusters are well defined, then each bird should have a very high
probability of belonging to one of the clusters.  You can get this
probability matrix from your mclust object.

For the iris dataset example,

my.clusters=Mclust(iris[,-5])

This will give you the probability matrix

my.clusters$z

You can assign membership based on these probabilities (i.e. each bird
belongs to the cluster with highest probability).  You can obtain this
membership by doing

my.clusters$membership

Hope this helps,

Julian