[R] Coefficients of Logistic Regression from bootstrap - how to get them?

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 21 21:28:38 CEST 2008

Frank,

"How does bootstrap improve on that?"

I don't know, but I have an idea. Since the data in my set are just a
small sample of a big population, then if I use my whole dataset to
obtain max likelihood estimates, these estimates may be best for this
dataset, but far from ideal for the whole population.

I used bootstrap to virtually increase the size of my dataset, it should
result in estimates more close to that from the population - isn't it
the purpose of bootstrap?

When I use such median coefficients on another dataset (another sample
from population), the predictions are better, than using max likelihood
estimates. I have already tested that and it worked!

I am not a statistician and I don't feel what "overfitting" is, but it
may be just another word for the same idea.

Nevertheless, I would still like to know how can I get the coeffcients
for the model that gives the "nearly unbiased estimates". I greatly
appreciate your help.

--
Michal J. Figurski
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine