[R] Table of tables?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 21 23:00:42 CEST 2008

I have occasion to want to produce a ``table of tables''.  I.e. I have
a number of subjects; to each subject there corresponds a 4 x 5 table
of numbers.  I would like to arrange these tables into a (say) 4 x 4
array.  I would also like (said he, wistfully) to have each of these
16 tables in the array distinguished by a header identifying the
``subject'';
a string of the form ``Subject xxx'', ``Subject yyy'' etc.

I could bind together my 16 tables into a 16 x 20 numerical matrix,
output
this to a file, and then manually mark it up with the appropriate LaTeX
commands to get the effect I want.  But that would be a most tedious
experience .... and since I have to do something like 12 or 15 of these,
it could take a while.

So I thought I'd ask if any of those clever people out there had written
functions that might produce such a table of tables.  Preferably with a
LaTeX filter at the end.

Are there such functions anywhere?  I have of course looked at the
xtable
package and I can't see a facility for doing what I want.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner