[R] S4 : setGeneric for classical methods

cgenolin at u-paris10.fr cgenolin at u-paris10.fr
Tue Jul 22 18:25:50 CEST 2008

Hi the list (well, half of the list, only the one who are not on holidays...)

I am trying to make an S4 package. When I run it on a console,
everything seems ok. When I run R CMD check, I got an error --- 8<
Error in setMethod("plot", "ClassX", function(x, y) { :  no existing
definition for function "plot"

If I add setGeneric("plot",function(x,y,...){standardGeneric("plot")})
in my code, then everything is OK.

This is a surprise for me since I taught that we do not need to
redefine as generic the function that are already generic, like "plot".
Am I wrong ?

Christophe