[R] randomForest Tutorial

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:41:34 CEST 2008

The help pages for 'randomForest' are quite clear in stating how to use the
'randomForest()' function. Input is a data frame (not a csv-file) and a
formula involving attribute names.

There is a kind of tutorial for classification and clustering with Random
Forests on Leo Breiman's web page
<http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/users/breiman/RandomForests/cc_home.htm>.  It
describes the older code on which the R package is built, not the
implementation of RandomForest from Salford systems, so more or less what
you want.

And there is another implementation of random forests in the 'party'
package, see the 'cforest()' function. (The package varSelRF has already
been mentioned in a previous post.)

Hans Werner Borchers
ABB Corporate Research