[R] Help with rearranging data

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:49:08 CEST 2008

Here is a start that will get you a dataframe.  You will have to
decide how you want to convert the long to wide format since that did
not clearly come through in the mail:

> x <- readLines('/tempxx.txt')
> # remove blank lines
> x <- x[x != ""]
> # create matrix
> y <- matrix(x[-(1:6)], ncol=6, byrow=TRUE)
> colnames(y) <- x[1:6]
> y.df <- as.data.frame(y)
> head(y.df)
     Month Seg  Prod  Biller Cycle Sales
1 1/1/2008   A Table Phyllis     1   500
2 1/1/2008   A Table Phyllis     2   600
3 1/1/2008   A Table Phyllis     3   650
4 1/1/2008   A Table  Doreen     1   345
5 1/1/2008   A Table  Doreen     2   451
6 1/1/2008   A Table  Doreen     6   550