[R] lmer model with continuos non normal response variable, transformation needed?

Christoph Scherber Christoph.Scherber at agr.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Jul 24 10:14:58 CEST 2008

Dear Arams,

I would suggest to use lme() instead of lmer(), and then to use a variance function to model the
heteroscedasticity in the within-group errors, such as:

model.new=update(model,weights=varPower(form=~primary.covariate))

where model and model.new are lme fits, and primary.covariate is usually a numerical explanatory
variable.

Using varPower() as specified above when dealing with response variables that are proportions or
counts often helps in removing non-constant and/or non-normal errors.

See for example Fig. 5.2 on page 217 in Pinheiro and Bates.

Best wishes
Christoph