[R] Just 2 more questions - for now!

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 14:16:47 CEST 2008

Hi Robin,

>> I ... can't get lm to work despite reading the help. I can get it to work
>> with a single
>> explanatory variable, EG model <- lm(data$admissions~data$maxitemp)

I'll answer just the second of your questions. Advice: don't just read the
help file, look at the examples and run them; look at how the calls are
made. lm() and many other programs use (or can use) the ?formula interface,
so learn how to use it. For your "example," rather do

##
EGModel <- lm(admissions ~ maxitemp, data = data)

where data is your data set (to avoid confusion call it something else, e.g.
mydata). To add another variable/predictor, which should be in your data
frame (for simplicity) called data, simply do

EGModel <- lm(admissions ~ maxitemp+another.var, data = data)

If your maxitemp(s) occur at different sites, then you might be interested
in a nested model

EGModel1 <- lm(admissions ~ site/maxitemp - 1, data = data)
EGModel2 <- lm(admissions ~ site*maxitemp, data = data)     ## alt.
parameterization
anova(EGModel1, EGModel2)
anova(EGModel, EGModel1, EGModel2, test="Chi")

This shows part of the power of using the formula interface.

HTH, Mark.