[R] fit.dist gnlm question, NaN and Inf results

Richard and Barbara Males rbmales at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 00:43:09 CEST 2008

I am attempting to fit discrete data (daily counts of arrivals of
recreational vessels at locks on a river) using the fit.dist package.
Some distributions return values of NaN and Inf for certain
situations, an example with Inf values is shown below.

# of vessels:                                        1   2    3  4  5
6  7  8  9 10 11
# of days with # of vessels:                  35  20 10  5  6  3  1  3
 1  0  1  (stored in rTemp$counts)

Can anyone tell me under what conditions I will get these Inf/NaN?

Thanks in advance

Richard Males
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

my function call is as follows, for each of the distributions.

fit.dist(c(1:length(rTemp$counts)),rTemp$counts,"binomial")

output from fit.dist for above input situation

binomial distribution,  n = 85

     mean  variance    nu.hat
2.6352941 4.6552249 0.2635294

-log likelihood             AIC