[R] Mixed model question.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 28 04:06:13 CEST 2008

I continue to struggle with mixed models.  The square zero version
of the problem that I am trying to deal with is as follows:

A number (240) of students are measured (tested; for reading
comprehension)
on 6 separate occasions.  Initially (square zero) I want to treat the
test time as a factor (with 6 levels).  The students are of course
``random effects''.  Later I want to look at reduced models, with the
means at the 6 times following patterns:

	(mu1, mu2, mu2, mu3, mu3, mu4)

or

	(mu1, mu1+theta, mu1+theta, mu1+2*theta, mu1+2*theta, mu1+3*theta)

the idea begin that the tests are given ``in pairs'' at the beginning
and
end of the school year.  Progress is expected over the school year, no
progress over the two intervening summers.  The summers fall between
times 2 and 3 and between times 4 and 5.  The second of the two models
assumes a constant amount of progress (``theta'') in each of three
school years in which the students are observed.

But the square zero model is just a trivial repeated measures model.

The estimate of the means at the 6 observation times is just
mu-hat = xbar <- apply(X,2,mean) where X is the ``data matrix'',
and the estimate of the covariance structure is just given by
Sigma-hat = S <- var(X).

No problem so far.  I can also fit the two reduced models (I'm pretty
sure) via maximum likelihood, using optim(), for example.  Assuming
normal data.  Rash assumption, but that's not the issue here.

But the thing is, I also want (later!) to include such things as
a school effect (there are 6 different schools), a sex effect, and
an ethnicity effect.

Things start to get complicated --- sounds like a job for lmer().

So I'd just like to get a toe in the door by fitting the trivial
(square 0) model with lmer() --- and then if I can get my head
around that, move on to the two reduced models.  I.e. I'd like to
reproduce my simple-minded computations using lmer() --- which would
give me a little bit of confidence that I'm driving lmer() correctly.

*Can* the trivial model be fitted in lmer()?  I tried using

	fit <- lmer(y ~ tstnum + (1|stdnt), data=schooldat)

and got estimates of the coefficients for tstnum as follows:

Fixed effects:
             Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)  3.22917    0.09743   33.14
tstnum2      0.46667    0.08461    5.52
tstnum3      0.50000    0.08461    5.91
tstnum4      0.83750    0.08461    9.90
tstnum5      0.47083    0.08461    5.56
tstnum6      0.97500    0.08461   11.52

The mean of (the columns of) the data matrix is

3.229167 3.695833 3.729167 4.066667 3.700000 4.204167

which is in exact agreement with the lmer() results when converted to
the same parameterization (mu_i = mu + alpha_i, with alpha_1 = 0).

(Notice the surprizing, depressing, and so far unexplained *drop*
in the response over the second summer.)

What I *don't* understand is the correlation structure of the estimates
produced by lmer(), which is:

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
         (Intr) tstnm2 tstnm3 tstnm4 tstnm5
tstnum2 -0.434
tstnum3 -0.434  0.500
tstnum4 -0.434  0.500  0.500
tstnum5 -0.434  0.500  0.500  0.500
tstnum6 -0.434  0.500  0.500  0.500  0.500

So apparently the way I called lmer() places substantial constraints
on the covariance structure.  How can I (is there any way that I can)
tell lmer() to fit the most general possible covariance structure?

As usual, advice, insight, tutelage humbly appreciated.

If anyone wishes to experiment with the real data set (it's a bit
too big to post here) I can make it available to them via email.

Thanks.

		cheers,

			Rolf Turner