[R] Legality Question about R's Open Source GNU GPL License

zerfetzen zerfetzen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 20:32:04 CEST 2008

Hi,
I use R at home, and am interested in using it at my work company (which is
in the Fortune 100).  I began the request, and our legal team has given some
gruff about the open source license.  Not boring you with the details here,
but I used some info on gnu.org as a rebuttal, and someone at the company
replied that the generalities of GNU GPL may differ from R's specific GNU
GPL license, and that I should refer specifically to it, and it should be on
the CRAN website.

I may be blind, but haven't seen such a document.  Does one exist, and how
may I obtain it?  I believe they are wrong.  Our legal team is notorious for
being overly conservative, and I'm personally betting they think I won't
look into it, and then they won't have to deal with it.  But I will, and I
want to use R.  Thanks.

PS
Sorry if the document was posted and obvious, and I simply couldn't find it.
Thanks.