[R] Problem reading a particular file with read.spss()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 12:19:14 CEST 2008

It works for me, on Windows with that version of foreign.  I also tried
under Linux with valgrind, and nothing untoward was reported.  The
warnings are

Warning messages:
1: In read.spss("mySPSSfile.sav") :
   mySPSSfile.sav: File-indicated character representation code (1252)
looks like a Windows codepage
2: In read.spss("mySPSSfile.sav") :
   mySPSSfile.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in
system file

The first is innocuous for you (given your locale), and the second
indicated that there is info that we don't know about (SPSS 16.x is not
common).