[R] mac install no font found problem in quartz display

Zhesi He zh107 at york.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 13:14:11 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I was attempted to install 2.7.1 in my mac only recently because of
the fantastic quartz display support.
I had no problem in building from source.
But after installation, I always got font warnings as following when
using quartz:

Warning messages:
1: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) ... :
   no font could be found for family "Arial"
33: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) ... :
   no font could be found for family "Arial"
34: In title(...) ... : no font could be found for family "Arial"
35: In title(...) ... : no font could be found for family "Arial"
36: In title(...) ... : no font could be found for family "Arial"
37: In title(...) ... : no font could be found for family "Arial"

There is no such problem when using X11 as the display device.
I was guessing it might be cairo or fontconfig library? I looked into
the configure file and found warnings:
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libXrender.1.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /usr/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /usr/X11/lib/libICE.6.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
ld: warning, duplicate dylib /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

I used macport to install cairo and pango and gtk before, and I think
these libraries are duplicated in /usr/lib somehow.
I don't know if R looked into the wrong directory to search for
libraries or not.

Please advise!

Thanks a lot.

--